11/28/09

doof n snoitanalpxe

About six months ago Scott and I decided that we could invite my family to have Thanksgiving with us because we would most likely not be able to go there since Scott would be on call (which he was). So we had planned on getting to see my family for at least three days here in Idaho. It wouldn't be everyone (just Mom, Dad, Tina and Hallie) but it was better than nothing. So a week before they would be coming I called my sisters to chitchat. They told me, kind of as a side note, that Grandma had called mom to tell her not to come get her and Grandpa to take them to the doctor because an ambulance was coming to get Grandpa. I honestly didn't think much of it, just like my sisters hadn't because Grandpa has been in and out of the hospital for about 8 years. He and Grandma had served two missions and they were sent home from their second mission because Grandpa had gotten sick and none of the doctors knew what was wrong so the only option was for them to go home and see what was wrong. They never really found anything and he got sicker and sicker. He had his good days but he never really was the same. He was really suffering. So after a few more phone calls over the 4 hours following that first 'chitchat' conversation I found out that my Grandpa had cancer in his brain and had hemorrhaged. He was in a coma when he got to the hospital and passed away that evening. It was a shocker for us but we were so grateful that he didn't have to suffer longer, that it was quick and that he is happy now :) So we went from thinking we wouldn't see my family for a week to seeing them three days later. We basically spent the last week with my family.
I felt so blessed to be able to go to Grandpa's funeral services, and with Scott too! We were so so so blessed that it worked out. Grandpa's passing is real to me now, not just an abstract idea. I still get emotional and probably will during the next year. Even still though, I am so happy for him and I know I will see him again.
While we were in town we also got to see the house my brothers (Tim and John) are moving into within the next month. It needs a lot of fixing up but that is why they are moving in! :) And yes, that is a washer on the front steps, exercise equipment in front of the porch and a part of a wagon in front of the tree...some people just have different taste in decoration. ;)
We also got to celebrate Mayson's birthday. He was born a week after I got home from my mission. We celebrated Hallie's birthday too but she refused to shove birthday cake in her face. She is so boring. ;)
I was so excited to spend time with my nephews! This is Aadyn. Aren't he and Mayson just adorable?!
And here is where we spent a lot of our time. Grandma and Grandpa's house was packed with family, laughing and eating and swapping memories. It was so great.
And here we are! Thanksgiving dinner :) I was so excited that we all fit around the table. It worked really well for playing games and eating, of course.
Scott and I had so much fun making our first little thanksgiving dinner at our house and it made it even more memorable and fun to have my family with us.

Warning: The next pictures contain lots of food, which is apparently what a lot of our blog has featured. FYI: Until we have kids, food is going to be the focus of what exciting things are happening in our lives. So to those of you who told my mom that we have a lot of pictures of food, sorry-get used to it. Tina and Hallie-get over it! ;)
MMMM! The turkey was soooo goood!

We pretty much had one pie for each of us (and still have plenty left...) but we had to have variety :) It's a family tradition! :)


On Friday we set out for our first Black Friday shopping trip. By "our" I mean all of us. None of us had ever been. We went to the mall and shopped till we could have dropped :) We enjoyed it and the lines weren't too bad, they were bearable.
Scott refused to look at the camera...

In the middle of our shopping trip we went to Red Robin :) YUM! We all had awesome food and then some tasty mud pie
To end the perfect week Dad did a few jobs in our basement. He fixed our door so it shuts without throwing your body against it and he and Scott finished our lizard tank! Isn't it beautiful!?! More pictures to come of this one.
Thanks for coming Mom, Dad, Tina and Hallie! Thanks for sharing them Alex, John, Tim, and Grandma!

1 comment:

  1. Cassie, hugs for your grandpa's passing. I'm glad you were able to go to the funeral and to have Scott there for support.

    Your Thanksgiving looks like it was fantastic! And...who wouldn't expect pictures of food...that's a HUGE part of Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

background