9/2/12

seirrebkcalb

Yesterday we went hunting blackberries on our road and "driveway"
Our first batch were found right outside of our house! (the above pictures)
Then we found a bunch of patches of blackberries in an abandoned lot at the end of our "driveway" road. We had brought out our little ladder for the tall bushes but I ended up using it more to push the vines down to protect myself from the prickles.


The lot was very big. We kept deciding to stop and then would come upon more loaded bushes.

There were slugs everywhere

how many slugs do you see in this picture?

It was so fun picking berries with Scott. Berry picking reminds him of his home. It's fun for me to experience something that reminds him of his childhood.




The lot was overgrown to the max :)


We got burrs stuck all over us from the overgrown lot. :) It reminded me of my childhood, working with my grandpa, dad, and brothers at the Tree Farm. I would always get burrs in my shoes and would have to stop to remove them, it drove the boys nuts! No wonder they hated when I came to "work" with them.
I was able to make a bunch of jam from our collection and still had around 4 cups of berries left afterward. We now have blackberry jam as well as blackberry/blueberry jam and we also have the blueberry jam I made awhile back :) Yay for Washington berry-ness of life!

2 comments:

background