Different objects will trigger different memories for people. So below is a list of objects. After each object, I wrote down a memory I have that is linked to that object. Go ahead, do it too! :D
So here's to the past! :)
1-Pillow: The first thing that came to my mind is how one of my best friends would always tell me that I say the word pillow in a funny way. She would sometimes trick me into saying it just so she could laugh at me. haha :D.
2-Spoon: Growing up we always had two or three metal baby spoons in our silverware drawer. I always prefered to use that spoon to eat my melted chocolate chips with...don't tell mom I melted her chocolate chips...We also had 1 soup spoon that was perfect for eating cereal. It was all six kids favorite spoon to eat cereal with. I would sometimes even dig in the sink to find it, wash it, and use it. Who knows how many of us did that, I wonder how many times on average it was used a week...
3-Escalator: My family rarely went to Salt Lake growing up, and when we did it was something that we really looked forward too. It was a HUGE adventure and one of the things I loved about going out of town to see Aunt Lori was getting to go ANYWHERE that had an escalator. I felt jipped if we were leaving and had yet to ride an escalator. I honestly think that when I asked to go to the mall I mostly did it so we could ride the escalator. Once I had done that I was ready to go home.
4-Headband: The closet next to my room was full of hair stuff. I looking back I rarely remember using a lot of hair things but we did have a whole shelf devoted to them if I ever decided to be girly enough to wear some. I rarely wore headbands because they gave me a headache, and still do. I always had a ponytail holder on me though.
5-Jump rope: I was always so jealous of the girls who could do double dutch. I would watch them during recess and go home and try to talk my brothers into swinging the ropes so I could learn but none of us could figure out how to work the ropes so we usually ended up playing helicopter instead. I was pretty good at jumping with just one rope though and during 3rd grade my friends and I could either be found playing 4 square or jumping rope singing to the tunes about Cinderella being dressed is yella or calling the judge...because of fudge? ;) I always hoped that I would mess up on twins or triplets and was always sad if I messed up on "a boy" or "a girl" (The song goes: "Fudge, fudge, call the Judge, Cassie's gonna have a baby. Wrap it up in toilet paper, send it down the elevator. What's it gonna be? A boy, a girl, twins, triplets, a boy, a girl...")
6-Camcorder: My family went to Nauvoo when I was in Junior High. My parents got a camcorder for the special trip and I remember filming some amazing thunderstorms in Nebraska. What a fun trip :)
7-Soda Can: You mean POP can? Oh, okay. (Scott tells me there is no such thing but I will not waiver. It's NOT soda. So there.) We would throw our pop can out our back door into the back yard and then once a summer we would go find all the pop can and crush them. I think my parents probably just wished we would crush them and put them into the 'pop can trash can' at the bottom of the stairs but I really enjoyed working with my siblings to destroy all those cans at once.
8-Safety Pin: In our family's basement behind the door at the bottom of the stairs is all of my mom's craft stuff. I always loved getting to go through the old dusty boxes she had of her unfinished projects. You can find safety pins there :)
9-Box: Under the stairs of the same basement my mom keeps all of our old clothes in boxes. Every year we would go through those boxes and find clothes to hand down to younger siblings. I feel bad for my younger siblings since they got stuck with a lot of hand-me-downs but I was always jealous because there were no hand-me-downs for me. Even my older brother got hand-me-down's from our cousins but I always had to get new clothes. Isn't that horrible? ;) My brothers did seem to get "new" clothes more often than me though since my mom's aunt would drop clothes off to us a couple times a year. I was always really excited when there was something in the pile that fit me that my brothers were willing to let me have.
10-Bubble Gum: Bubbalicious bubblegum was my most favorite. I loved the tasty flavors and the HUGE piece of gum you got. I could go for some of that right now...grape, yummmm oh, and cotton candy, even yummier! I wonder if Scott has ever tried them.
11-Suitcase: My Grandma Gale gave me a set of suitcases for my graduation present. She lived in Hawaii at the time and the suitcases have Hawaiian print on them. I love them, even still today. I have put a lot of use into them too :) I felt like a real adult when I realized that I owned my very own suitcase.
12-Cookie: cookie dough! Yumm-o. Mom would let lick the spoon which was a really big deal for her and she would always remind us of how it will make us sick but that it wasn't her fault since we were choosing to eat it. I think it strengthened our immune systems...maybe I should go eat some right now.
13-Dresser: I slept on the top bunk of a rockety old bunk bed. One night I had a dream I was falling off a cliff, when in reality I was falling of the top of the bunk bed. I woke up mid fall and hit the corner of our very very very sturdy dresser that my dad had built. It left a huge bruise on my hip. I was so proud of that bruise though...and was very afraid of that top bunk...
15-Skateboard: I never owned a skateboard but I was always sure I would be amazing at skateboarding because we had a scooter that I could do all sorts of amazing tricks on. I could jump over a POP can with my front wheel...or most of the wheel at least...and I could do other amazing things that I can't remember now but I know I was amazing. My friend had a skateboard and I tried it once...and I realized that I am not at all coordinated and that I am not amazing. haha. :)
It IS soda-not pop. . . .
ReplyDeleteIt's Soda Pop...meaning both sides of the argument are technically right. Tyler and I have discussed it various times, and that's the conclusion I always come to. I like hearing your memories, Cassie. They are fun. And I remember doing the Cinderella jump rope thing too! (Though I was never very good....and it took me years to learn to jump into an already moving rope. It still scares me. eep)
ReplyDelete